Apply Here for a Scholarship to Learn Slovak at The University of Pittsburgh's Summer Language Institute (SLI)!
Applications Due April 30, 2023 -- See below for application requirements.
Overview of SACC Scholarship for Summer Study of Slovak Language & Culture
Each scholarship of up to $1,000 will be applied towards the payment of tuition to attend (in-person or online) The University of Pittsburgh's Summer Language Institute (SLI) to study Slovak language & culture. Upon special request, SACC will also consider granting a scholarship to attend an alternative Slovak language program (see "Additional Study Programs" under the "Scholarships" tab). All scholarship applicants must be U.S. citizens. Upon completion of the program, scholarship recipients will be asked to share reflections about their experiences, either live or through video, with SACC. The programs are open to students and motivated learners ages 18 and over.
An applicant may receive a maximum of one scholarship during his/her lifetime.
Description of the Summer Program at SLI
The University of Pittsburgh's Slavic, East European, and Near Eastern Summer Language Institute (SLI) offers a unique intensive Slovak summer program that includes a study abroad option in Bratislava.
The Slavic department at the University of Pittsburgh prides itself on being a principal center for the teaching of Slovak language and culture in all of North America. SLI is the only US-based summer intensive program to offer Slovak at beginner through advanced levels.
The Summer Language Institute program for Slovak consists of:
- 6 weeks of intensive Slovak at SLI in Pittsburgh or online
- followed, if available, by 4 weeks of optional continued language study and cultural immersion in Bratislava
Please explore the SLI website for a detailed description:
https://www.sli.pitt.edu/content/welcome-summer-language-institute (overview of the program)
https://www.sli.pitt.edu/program-listing/slovak/domestic (description of Slovak program)
SLI also offers scholarships for the summer program (information available on the SLI website), and we encourage students to apply for both an SLI as well as an SACC scholarship.
SLI accepts undergraduates, graduates, and highly-motivated non-affiliated learners.
SACC Scholarship Application Requirements
In order to apply for a scholarship, please complete the following steps below. Applicants must be citizens of the United States. Application deadline is April 30th. Scholarship awards will be announced roughly 2-3 weeks after the application deadline.
Scholarship application materials must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with "SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION" in the subject line. Questions regarding this application may also be directed to email@example.com.
1. Apply to the summer program of your choice and provide proof of acceptance (or, at a minimum, proof of application to the summer program) via a screenshot of an email or similar method.
2. Submit a copy of your university transcript(s).
3. Submit a copy of your resume, together with a photo which we may post on our website.
4. Compose an essay of roughly 250-500 words which answers the following question: Who are you (heritage, family, education, interests, activities, values, aspirations) and why are you interested in studying Slovak language and culture?
5. Submit at least one, and, if desired, two letters of recommendation from teachers, guidance counselors, employers, colleagues/leaders of volunteer organizations, or similar recommender.
6. SACC membership, participation, and volunteer work, as well as participation in other Slovak community activities and organizations, will be taken into consideration as part of the review of scholarship applications.
7. Please fill out the form below.